I’ve been struggling lately with a lot of dissatisfaction and unhappiness. Motherhood is a lot harder than I thought it would be, and even 4 years into this journey I’m still struggling to find my footing. I also find myself waiting for the future, when we are ready to move into a house, when our kids are in school, when I go back to school/work, when we have our student load debt paid off- that I can’t just let go and enjoy what we have right now. I want to learn to be happy with my life as it is, in the phase it is, without thinking so much about what its not.
One thing I’m doing is trying to develop a more grateful heart. I want to take notice of the things I do have and all the ways that my life is actually pretty great. I’ve been keeping a gratitude journal that I spend a few minutes filling out each night, and this is something I’ve grown to love doing. In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I thought I’d share with a few things I’m grateful for right now.
- that right now I have two healthy children
- a husband who doesn’t mind turning on our heat in early October (yes we have, our house is FREEZING)
- a fridge full of delicious food
- hot chocolate and tea on cold days
- good friends who I can be myself around
- the LDS app that makes it so easy and convenient to read all the general conference talks from last weekend
- a good nights sleep, sleeping in, or taking naps
- my family- my kids, my husband, my parents, my bro and sis in law, my in-laws, and all of the rest John’s family too
- the library
- indoor playgrounds
- that our house, as much as I want to move someplace bigger, is HOME
- crock pot dinners and soups
- technology that allows us to keep in touch with people far away